Guerrero and his mom want to re-sign with Angels

Leave a comment

Vladimir Guerrero batted .319/.381/.546 with 173 homers, 616 RBIs, an MVP award, and five trips to the postseason during his six-year, $85 million contract with the Angels, proving to be one of the best big-money free agent signings of all time.
But now he’s a 35-year-old free agent coming off a season in which he missed 56 games with multiple injuries and failed to post an OPS above .800 for the first time in his career, leading to questions about whether he’ll re-sign with the Angels and what the future holds in general for the eight-time All-Star.
His age, injuries, and career-worst production show a player in obvious decline, but Guerrero batted .300/.347/.498 over his final 54 games after coming off the disabled list in early August and then went 14-for-37 (.378) with a homer and three doubles in nine playoff games.
There’s still plenty of life left in his bat, but after a season in which he was used almost exclusively at designated hitter it’s unclear whether he can play the outfield regularly again. Following last night’s season-ending ALCS loss Guerrero wasted no time explaining that he wants to re-sign with the Angels:

Of course. I’m not thinking so much about the uncertainty, but I’m thinking about my mom and how comfortable she feels in Anaheim. That’s always one thing that I’m going to think about regarding free agency. It would be very gratifying to continue to play with the guys I’ve known here and have gotten used to.

Guerrero is a Type A free agent, but in order to receive draft-pick compensation for his departure the Angels would first have to offer him arbitration and that’s hardly a sure thing. Instead, coming to terms on a two-year deal worth something like $15 million seems like a reasonable fit for both sides. Of course, in addition to Guerrero the Angels also have John Lackey, Bobby Abreu, and Chone Figgins becoming free agents, so general manager Tony Reagins has a ton of crucial decisions to make this offseason.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
1 Comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
6 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.