It seems the Yankees’ new $1.5 billion city-subsidized stadium is beginning to show cracks,
just six months after its debut. The team has recently fallen under
scrutiny for cracks in the concrete pedestrian ramps — some as much as
an inch wide and several feet long — prompting the team to hire an
engineering company to determine whether the problems were caused by
the installation, the design, the concrete or other factors.
On the bright side, Alice McGillion, a team spokeswoman, called the cracks
“cosmetic,” saying that they pose no safety issues because they did
not affect the structural integrity of the ramps.
“There is no evidence that there is any issue or problem with concrete or any material in the building,” she said.
Interstate Industrial Corporation, the company that poured the
concrete, was banned from doing city work in 2004 because city
concluded it had ties to organized crime, an accusation its owners have
Interstate may sound familiar since they are currently front-and-center
in the trial of former Giuliani Police Commissioner Bernie Kerik. According to the Village Voice, Kerik is accused of accepting $165,000 in renovations on his Riverdale apartment from the
DiTomasso brothers — the principals of Interstate — in return for
recommending them for city contracts they were barred from.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, the company that evaluated the strength
of the concrete poured for the walkways, Testwell Laboratories, its
owners and several officers were indicted last year on state
racketeering charges. It’s unclear whether the team will have to tear
out any of the concrete in the ramps in question, however, according to
the New York Times, the problem could cost several million dollars to
On Friday, Athletics teammates Billy Butler and Danny Valencia were involved in a clubhouse altercation that started when Butler told an equipment representative that Valencia was wearing off-brand spikes during games. Valencia didn’t like Butler’s interference, potentially costing him an endorsement deal, so he punched Butler in the temple, causing a concussion.
Neither player had said much to the media about the incident, but Butler finally addressed the issue on Wednesday. MLB.com’s Mark Chiarelli reported Butler’s comments:
“This was something that could’ve been prevented on both sides,” Butler said. “We had equal faults in this. I definitely said some things that you shouldn’t have. I definitely stepped in an area where it wasn’t my business.”
“By no means do I think his intentions were to give me a concussion,” Butler said. “This is me addressing my faults and what I took away from the team.”
“To say that we’re enemies is not right,” Butler said. “To blame this all on one side is not right either.”
Butler also apologized to his teammates. “I would like to apologize for putting [my teammates] through this because they didn’t deserve this. This was an issue between me and Danny. To be fair for them, they didn’t deserve this. The coaching staff didn’t deserve this. The organization didn’t deserve this,” he said.
Butler is making progress in his recovery from his concussion. He’ll travel with the team to St. Louis to open up a three-game series against the Cardinals starting on Friday. If he passes his concussion protocol test, the Athletics will put him back on the active roster from the seven-day concussion disabled list.
WEEI’s Rob Bradford reports that Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval has lost 22 pounds during his rehabilitation after undergoing shoulder surgery in early May. Weight has been the top subject of conversation regarding Sandoval ever since he showed up to spring training and an unflattering photograph was published by the Boston Globe.
Sandoval had a miserable spring training, batting .204 in 49 at-bats and lost out on the starting third base job to Travis Shaw. He went hitless in seven regular season plate appearances before landing on the disabled list with a sprained left shoulder, which ultimately required reconstructive surgery.
Sandoval is still under contract through at least 2019, earning $17 million next season, and $18 million in ’18 and ’19. His controlling club has a $17 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2020 as well. It’s hard to see Sandoval fitting into his current club’s future plans, but it will be tough for the Red Sox to get rid of him without eating a significant portion of his remaining contract.