Manny hits the showers early

Leave a comment

Is anyone particularly surprised by this?:

When asked prior to Tuesday’s workout how surprised he was to see
Jimmy Rollins beat the Dodgers with a walk-off double into the
right-center gap the night before, Ramirez said he was in the shower at
the time.

“When I came out, they were turning the TVs off and everybody was coming in,” Ramirez said.

Torre gives some quotes suggesting that it was no big deal. Of course, he gave a lot of quotes saying that various things that happened in New York were no big deal too, and we learned otherwise in his book.  I can’t imagine that anyone on the Dodgers appreciates this kind of thing. If the Dodgers won and are up in this series, people chalk this up to Manny being Manny, have a chuckle and move on. But they’re not up. They’re about to be eliminated, and this kind of thing shows total disrespect his teammates.

Not that this is unprecedented.  Remember Rickey Henderson and Bobby Bonilla playing cards for the last three innings of the uber-intense Game 6 of the 1999 NLCS? Their Mets’ teammates were not at all pleased: “Guys who saw (the card game) wanted to take a bat to their heads after
the game . . . There were
players crying and screaming in the dugout (after the Mets lost the
game in 11 innings). Then they walk in the clubhouse and see that?” The difference, based on reports of both incidents is that Henderson and Bonilla were being intentionally defiant, sulking in the locker room because each were displeased with certain decisions made by Bobby Valentine during the NLCS.  Unless something is going on we don’t know about, Manny was just . . . well, I won’t say it.

Probably worth noting that neither Henderson nor Bonilla were on the 2000 Mets following that incident. The only way Ramirez isn’t on the 2010 Dodgers is if he opts out of his deal, which he almost certainly won’t do.  This kind of nonsense, however, is only going to increase the number of people who want him gone. 

Dee Gordon will return from his 80-game suspension on Thursday

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 10:  Dee Gordon #9 of the Miami Marlins runs the bases against the Washington Nationals at Nationals Park on April 10, 2016 in Washington, DC.  (Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images)
Greg Fiume/Getty Images
Leave a comment

At the end of April, Marlins second baseman Dee Gordon was handed an 80-game suspension by Major League Baseball after testing positive for exogenous testosterone and Clostebol, performance-enhancing drugs. Gordon says he took those substances unknowingly.

Gordon will return to the Marlins on Thursday, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. The club was 10-11 prior to Gordon’s suspension. Since then, the club has gone 43-35 and is now tied with the Mets for second place in the NL East, five games behind the Nationals. Impressively, the Marlins have collectively hit .272/.330/.408 in Gordon’s absence, which compares favorably to the league average .252/.320/.410 triple-slash line.

Gordon, who made the NL All-Star team in 2014 and ’15, was hitting .266/.289/.340 with three doubles, two triples, five RBI, 13 runs scored, and six stolen bases in 97 plate appearances. Derek Dietrich has handled second base in the meantime and has done an admirable job, batting .275/.366/.398 with 22 extra-base hits, 30 RBI, and 26 runs scored in 314 PA. Nevertheless, Gordon is likely to return to full-time duty at second base.

Report: Blue Jays to acquire Melvin Upton, Jr. from the Padres

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - JULY 2:  Melvin Upton Jr. #2 of the San Diego Padres hits a walk-off solo home run during the ninth inning of a baseball game against the New York Yankees at PETCO Park on July 2, 2016 in San Diego, California. The Padres won 2-1. (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
2 Comments

Update (10:12 AM EDT): Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball reports the Padres will receive pitcher Hansel Rodriguez from the Blue Jays. Rodriguez is rated as the Jays’ 18th-best prospect by MLB Pipeline. The Jays signed Rodriguez out of the Dominican Republic for $330,000 in February 2014. He’s spent the 2016 season with the Bluefield Blue Jays in rookie ball, compiling a 3.06 ERA with a 26/11 K/BB ratio in 32 1/3 innings over six starts.

*

The Padres and Blue Jays have agreed on a trade involving outfielder Melvin Upton, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported on Tuesday morning. The Jays will get Upton and the Padres will receive a prospect from Single-A. The financial details are not yet known, but Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune says the Padres are expected to cover a significant portion of his remaining contract. The trade is likely to be finalized on Tuesday.

The two teams opened up a three-game series in Toronto on Monday, so Upton won’t have to go very far to join his new team. The Jays won 4-2 on Monday.

Upton, 31, has had another solid season for the Padres, batting .256/.304/.439 with 16 home runs, 45 RBI, 46 runs scored, and 20 stolen bases in 374 plate appearances. He’s owed the remainder of his $15.45 million salary for the 2016 season and $16.45 million next season, the final year of his five-year contract.

Upton will provide some outfield depth for the Jays, who currently only have Ezequiel Carrera as a full-time back-up outfielder behind Michael Saunders, Kevin Pillar, and Jose Bautista. Bautista was activated from the disabled list on Monday, so Upton could cover right field in the event that Bautista exacerbates his toe injury.

With Upton leaving San Diego, Alex Dickerson is likely to see full-time work in left field in the short term. Prospects Hunter Renfroe and Manuel Margot could be called up at some point this season as well.