And in light of the fact the GM Doug Melvin actually says that he regretted not trading for Jarrod Washburn at the deadline, they might sign or trade anyone to get more pitching.
“We might take a little more chances and risks than we’re accustomed to taking.” Melvin said. What might you offer for an arm, Doug?
“It would be very difficult to move a guy like Prince,” Melvin said.
“There will be a lot of talk. Teams that have top pitching, that’s hard
to give up. I’ve got one of the best hitters in the game and that’s
hard to give up.”
I don’t take that as a vow to trade Prince Fielder or anything, but you’d think that even a GM willing to take risks would say something like “everyone but Braun and Fielder” are fair game, not that it “would be very difficult” to trade him. It’s difficult to trade anyone.
I’m bored, so let’s speculate: Prince Fielder to the Giants this winter for a couple of their young arms. Who’s with me?
Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are close to acquiring pitcher Vidal Nuno from the Dodgers in exchange for pitcher Ryan Moseley.
Nuno, 29, went to the Dodgers from the Mariners in the Carlos Ruiz trade this past November. He and the Dodgers avoided arbitration last month, agreeing on a $1.125 million salary for the 2017 season. The left-hander finished the 2016 campaign with a 3.53 ERA and a 51/11 K/BB ratio in 58 2/3 innings spanning one start and 54 relief appearances.
Nuno will provide the Orioles starting pitching depth and could serve as a valuable left-handed option out of the bullpen.
Moseley, 22, played his first season of professional baseball in the New York Penn League last year. In 12 relief appearances, he put up a 3.20 ERA and an 18/9 K/BB ratio across 19 2/3 innings. The Orioles selected him in the eighth round of the 2016 draft.
Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that Mets GM Sandy Alderson and second baseman Neil Walker‘s agent have been in contact about a contract extension as recently as Saturday. The extension is reportedly three years, including the 2017 season, and “north of $40 million,” according to Ackert’s source.
Walker, 31, accepted the Mets’ $17.2 million qualifying offer back in November. He’s coming off one of the better seasons of his eight-year career, finishing with a .282/.347/.476 triple-slash line along with 23 home runs and 55 RBI in 458 plate appearances. Walker’s season ended in late August as he underwent a lumbar microdisectomy.