Jose Guillen told Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com that he will miss the rest of the season:
“I won’t play anymore for the rest of the season to recover well
from the injury,” Guillen told Rojas Saturday on the phone from Kansas
“It’s a team decision, I feel bad sitting down while my teammates are playing hard on the field,” he added in a text message.
Guillen just returned from the disabled this week after missing six weeks due to a torn ligament in his right knee, but he left Wednesday’s game against the Athletics with pain in his right hamstring.
The 33-year-old outfielder has been a massive disappointment this
season, batting just .242/.314/.367 with nine homers and 40 RBI. Two
lengthy stints on the disabled list have limited him to just 81 games.
It’s no surprise that the Royals find themselves second to last in the AL in runs scored and home runs.
While it’s been a down season for Guillen any way you slice it, perhaps the most troubling aspect is his regression against southpaws.
Entering the season, Guillen had the following splits:
.281/.334/.482 vs. LHP
.270/.318/.433 vs. RHP
In fact, Guillen had recently earned the reputation of owning left-handers, hitting
them to the tune of .330/.394/.593 since the start of the 2007 season,
however, 2009 has been a very different story:
.181/.245/.309 with four home runs and 9 RBI vs. LHP
.273/.348/.396 with five home runs and 31 RBI vs. RHP
As always, beware of small sample sizes (he had only 99 at-bats
against southpaws in 2009), but coupled with his rapid deterioration,
the Royals have every reason to be wary as they prepare to pay him $12
million in 2010.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.