Bobby Valentine is looking for work

Leave a comment

Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com penned an excellent piece on former Mets and Rangers manager Bobby Valentine,
who recently agreed to part ways with the Chiba Lotte Marines of
Japan’s Pacific League after this season. As a result, the 59-year-old
Valentine is on the hunt for a job in the United States, whether on television or managing a major league team.




“That would be ideal. I still work out every day. I don’t drink and eat too much, so
I think I can do that. I can be on the field. I can deal with the young
people and do the thing I love the most. And if not, maybe I’ll have to
talk about people who are doing the thing they love to do the most.”




And what about those Mets fans jonesin’ for a reunion? Not so fast, according to general manager Omar Minaya:



“No, no, not here. I’m very happy with Jerry Manuel. That’s not even a consideration.”




After being asked if Valentine would even be considered as a consultant, Minaya said:



“The way my staff is set up now, I don’t see that happening, no.”



Minaya is saying exactly what he is
supposed to say (for once), but casually dismissing Valentine isn’t the way to go here. Valentine enjoys overwhelming popularity among Mets
fans who would gladly welcome his return in any capacity. He was even rumored for the top job
before the Mets hired Willie Randolph in 2004. For him to not even to be a
consideration during the off-season would be blatant stupidity and
disrespect to one of the franchise’s most beloved figures.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.