Link-O-Rama: Padres shut down Young

Leave a comment

* Padres right-hander Chris Young has officially been shut down for the season because of a shoulder impingement that dropped his average fastball to 85.8 miles per hour. “We want Chris to take as much time as he needs and get him right in 2010,” general manager Kevin Towers said.
* Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports that Freddy Garcia could be an option for the White Sox when they need a fifth starter next on August 18. “He’s throwing really well,” said manager Ozzie Guillen, who also happens to be one of Garcia’s best friends.
* After going 5-3 with a 3.58 ERA and 66/19 K/BB ratio in 65 innings spread over 10 starts for the Long Beach Armada of the independent Golden Baseball League, 40-year-old Hideki Irabu has signed with an independent league team in Japan and will make his first start there next week.
* Speaking of independent leagues, 54-year-old former Royals speedster Willie Wilson will suit up for the Kansas City T-Bones of the Northern League next week. His one-day stint with the team is part of a fundraiser for the The Willie Wilson Foundation, which “conducts baseball camps and clinics for all boys and girls age 7-14 and teams with other organizations to provide services for children in need.” He has slightly more chance of making it back to the majors than Irabu.

Report: Teams have inquired with the Angels about Hector Santiago

ANAHEIM, CA - JULY 20:  Hector Santiago #53 of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitches during the first inning of a baseball game against the Texas Rangers  at Angel Stadium of Anaheim on July 20, 2016 in Anaheim, California.  (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.

Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.

Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.

We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.

Prince Fielder will undergo season-ending neck surgery this week

SEATTLE, WA - JUNE 10: Prince Fielder #84 takes a swing during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on June 10, 2016 in Seattle, Washington. The Mariners won the game 7-5. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
5 Comments

The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.

Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.

Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.