Even when things are going perfectly in the Bronx, someone has to inject some kind of negativity:
As vital as Jeter has been to the organization since becoming the
starter in 1996, the Yankees soon must decide how much he is worth to
them. Jeter’s 10-year, $189 million contract expires after the 2010
season, but the Yankees have not formally approached him about an
extension. “I haven’t even thought about it,” Jeter said . . . “It’s 2009,” Jeter said. “It’s not 2010.” Then Jeter paused before adding, “Or 2011.” By mentioning 2011, Jeter was seemingly intimating that he just needs to know where he is playing before then.
Or just acknowledging that he is under contract for 2010 and wanted to be accurate.
Look, there is zero chance that the Yankees aren’t going to get something done with Jeter that ensures he will end his career in pinstripes. I’d wager my kids on this. Sure, the Yankees will overpay somewhat for the production they’re likely to receive. Sure, they’ll still have the problem of where to play Jeter as he reaches the end and can’t really handle shortstop anymore, but the chances of ever seeing him in another uniform are nil, because it’s in absolutely no one’s interest for him to walk, and everyone involved knows that.
I know it can get boring writing “everything going wonderfully in Yankee-land!” stories, but suggesting that there is some kind of contract issue on the horizon for Jeter and the Yankees just isn’t credible, even as muckraking fodder.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.