Umpire Bill Hohn is a disgrace

Leave a comment

I missed this previously, but apparently home plate umpire Bill Hohn gave Marlins’ catcher John Baker the rock after the Florida-Atlanta game on Wednesday:

Several Braves players said they were surprised and even “shocked”
to see umpire Bill Hohn bump fists with Marlins catcher John Baker
after the final out of the Braves’ 6-3 loss Tuesday. While other
players and manager Bobby Cox either had no comment or would only
discuss it off the record, third baseman Chipper Jones had a scathing
review of Hohn’s game, including ejections of manager Bobby Cox and
catcher Brian McCann.

Video of the most famous fist-bump since Barack and Michelle can be seen here.
Looks like Baker put it out there first. In Hohn’s defense, maybe he’s
just the kind of guy who doesn’t like to leave a dude hangin’, ya know?

But Hohn isn’t really worthy of a defense, as his ejections of Bobby
Cox and Brian McCann showed far worse form. Basically, Hohn heard
someone shout from the Braves’ dugout — probably McCann, who had
argued balls and strikes earlier — called time, and then walked over
to argue with Cox, who had not left the dugout prior to any of this.
During the argument, he pulled out his lineup card and, according to
the article, told Cox that he was going to eject someone,
but didn’t know who. Cox, taken aback, told Hohn to eject him instead
and he did. McCann was ejected soon after. Video of the whole incident can be seen here.

Are we cool with an umpire stopping the game to walk over and bait one
of the team’s managers into a fight? Isn’t dealing with heckling
players and managers the first thing you learn in umpire school?
Everyone’s talking about the fist bump, but that’s just kind of dumb.
The fact that an umpire thinks it appropriate to get into it like Hohn
did is clearly over the line. And no, this is not the first time Hohn has gotten out of control.

The guy’s a disgrace, and should be suspended at the very least.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.