Report: Victor Martinez to Red Sox

Leave a comment

Oh-boy.

3099415.jpg

Here’s the big one. According to a post on Twitter, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says:

The Red Sox are about to acquire Victor Martinez from Indians.

– Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse confirms the Nightengale report citing a source that says a Martinez deal “looks good.”

In a post to Twitter, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Indians wanted a major-league ready pitcher in return for Martinez, “so gut is that Buchholz must be in this.”

– Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com
writes, “the Red Sox did not include either right-hander Clay Buchholz
nor right-hander Daniel Bard in the deal, according to a source.”

We’re slowly piecing this deal together, as Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports that LHP Nick Hagadone, a 2007 sandwich-pick, and RHP Justin Masterson would be part of the trade.

Jon Heyman of SI.com writes that the deal has been agreed to and that Buchholz is not in it.

Update: Nightengale, the original source, says the deal is done. Martinez is headed to Boston.

Oh-boy.

Here’s the big one. According to a post on Twitter, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says:

The Red Sox are about to acquire Victor Martinez from Indians.

– Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse confirms the Nightengale report citing a source that says a Martinez deal “looks good.”

In a post to Twitter, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Indians wanted a major-league ready pitcher in return for Martinez, “so gut is that Buchholz must be in this.”

– Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com
writes, “the Red Sox did not include either right-hander Clay Buchholz
nor right-hander Daniel Bard in the deal, according to a source.”

We’re slowly piecing this deal together, as Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports that LHP Nick Hagadone, a 2007 sandwich-pick, and RHP Justin Masterson would be part of the trade.

Jon Heyman of SI.com writes that the deal has been agreed to and that Buchholz is not in it.

Update: Nightengale, the original source, says the deal is done. Martinez is headed to Boston.

3099415.jpg

Report: Chris Tillman will decide on a team this week

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent right-hander Chris Tillman is narrowing his pool of potential suitors, per Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports. Returning to the Orioles is one option, of course, but Heyman also mentions another two undisclosed teams who are still in the running. An earlier report from Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun suggests that as many as four teams may be in the mix; either way, a final decision is expected by Monday.

Tillman, 29, has spent the entirety of his major league career in Baltimore. After posting career-high numbers in 2016, his progress was derailed during an injury-plagued 2017 campaign, during which he missed nearly six weeks on the disabled list with recurring right shoulder inflammation. He finished the season with a bloated 7.84 ERA, 2.3 BB/9 and 4.9 SO/9 over 93 innings.

While the mystery teams have yet to reveal themselves, the Blue Jays, Twins and Tigers have all expressed interest in the veteran right-hander this offseason. Both the Blue Jays and Twins have made big moves to bolster their rotations over the last few days, with the additions of Jaime Garcia and Jake Odorizzi, respectively. That doesn’t mean that Tillman is out of reach, however — if his price is right, he could provide some much-needed depth for pitching staffs that finished 15th and 22nd in the league last year.