Red Sox getting tired of Dice-K's act

Leave a comment

To say that the Red Sox are disappointed that Daisuke Matsuzaka came
out and blamed his health issues on Boston’s trainers is like saying
Brett Favre is indecisive.

Or that Randy Johnson is tall. You get the idea.

The BoSox, in fact are not simply “disappointed”, as the ultra polite Terry Francona said on Tuesday. Like a mushroom-cloud-laying Jules Winnfield from “Pulp Fiction, they seem ready to strike down upon their pitcher with great vengeance and furious anger.

This from the Boston Globe’s Tony Massarotti:

“I think we all share, in a word, that it’s disappointing,” Red Sox
pitching coach John Farrell said a short time ago in the Boston
clubhouse — veins all but bulging from his neck — in response to
critical comments made by Daisuke Matsuzaka. Added Farrell when asked
if he was frustrated, “The disappointment comes in airing his dirty
laundry.”

Massarotti goes on to write that the Red Sox have been frustrated with
Dice-K’s “high-maintenance” act long ago, but put up with it because he
won. Now that the right-hander is tossing barbs at the organization,
the team might be finished playing nice.

In retrospect, what Farrell did not say was that Matsuzaka looked
like he spent the winter eating dumplings and shumai, which the Red Sox
believe contributed to the pitcher’s problems.

“It’s not just the shoulder,” Farrell said tonight when asked about
the importance of proper conditioning. “When the overall body is not in
the condition necessary to support that, there has to be some
responsibility taken [on the part of the pitcher.]”

So the Red Sox turn the tables, blaming Dice-K for his poor conditioning. It’s not quite “Fat Toad” territory, but pretty darn close.

Dice-K’s comments have not endeared himself to fans. It will be interesting to see where this leads.

Report: Bryan Shaw has two multiyear offers on the table

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent reliever Bryan Shaw has received two multiyear offers, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. The teams in question have not been revealed, but the demand for Shaw is expected to be high as he comes off of a career-best season.

The 30-year-old right-hander went 4-6 in 79 appearances for the Indians, drawing a 3.52 ERA, 2.6 BB/9 and 8.6 SO/9 in 76 2/3 innings. He ranked 12th among qualified relievers with 1.6 fWAR, his highest mark to date, and proved instrumental in helping the club reach their second consecutive division title in 2017.

The Mets are the last known team to show interest in Shaw, as the New York Post’s Mike Puma reported Wednesday. Nothing has been officially confirmed by the club yet, naturally, but they could still use a couple of arms to round out the bullpen behind Jerry Blevins, AJ Ramos and Jeurys Familia and it’s worth noting that the right-hander has already worked closely with Mets’ skipper and former Indians’ pitching coach Mickey Callaway. While Shaw’s proven consistency and durability should appeal to a wide variety of teams, he’s due for a big payday after making just $4.6 million in his last year with the Indians.