Reds discuss deal for Rolen, for some reason

Leave a comment

Okay, so imagine yourself as the general manager of a team that is
currently seven games out of the division lead (behind four other
teams) and eight-and-a-half games out of the wild card (behind eight
other teams). Might be time to wise up and cut bait on expensive
veterans, right? Not if you are Reds general manager Walt Jocketty.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of, the Reds are discussing a trade for third baseman Scott Rolen:

The Reds, who have lost five straight games, are widely expected to
sell at the deadline. But acquiring Rolen would give the team a head
start on planning for 2010, since Rolen is already under contract for
next year at $11 million.

The sides are still trying to determine which players would head to
Toronto in the deal, but the source said that third baseman Edwin
Encarnacion would be included.

I’m not going to sit here and tell you that the Reds would be better
off with Edwin Encarnacion manning third base. They wouldn’t. He’s
awful over there. One of the worst in the sport, even. And Rolen has
been a great comeback story this season, putting together an awesome
.316/.371/.467 line. But why take the $11 million risk for a player in
his mid-30s, who isn’t the Gold Glover he used to be, and with a
well-documented injury history to boot? Well, Jocketty is a fan of
Rolen from their days together in St. Louis; the veteran third baseman
fits the bill as the righty bat the Reds have been seeking.

Wouldn’t you know it, Encarnacion is also right-handed and under the
organization’s control through 2012. He will make just $4.7 million in
2010. If the Reds are truly that unhappy with Encarnacion’s defense,
they would be better served to move him to a corner outfield spot. They
shouldn’t give up on a relatively inexpensive 26-year-old with real
30-homer potential who is showing some tangible progress in his
approach (15.7% walk rate this season) at the plate.

Giants interested in John Lackey

John Lackey
AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast
1 Comment

Ben Cafardo of the Boston Globe speculated on Sunday that there might be a connection between the Giants and veteran free agent right-hander John Lackey, and now FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that San Francisco is indeed in pursuit.

Rosenthal says the Giants, “like most clubs seeking pitching, [are] examining [a] wide range of options” in this starter-heavy free agent market. Lackey would make a ton of sense for any contender on something like a two-year deal. His free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t be much of a deterrent.

The 37-year-old right-hander registered a career-best 2.77 ERA across 218 innings (33 starts) this past season for the National League Central-champion Cardinals and he was St. Louis’ most reliable starter during the playoffs.

It’s well known that he wants to remain in the National League.

Angels sign catcher Geovany Soto to one-year contract

Geovany Soto
AP Photo/Alex Gallardo
Leave a comment

As first reported by beat writer Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels have signed free agent catcher Geovany Soto to a one-year major league contract.’s Alden Gonzalez says the deal is worth $2.8 million guaranteed.

Soto will offer some veteran presence at catcher for the Halos alongside 25-year-old Carlos Perez, who hit .250/.299/.346 as a rookie in 2015.

Soto slashed .219/.301/.406 with nine homers in 78 games this summer for the White Sox.

The 32-year-old backstop is a .246/.331/.434 career hitter at the major league level.

White Sox acquire right-hander Tommy Kahnle from Rockies

Tommy Kahnle
AP Photo/David Zalubowski
Leave a comment

According to the official Twitter account of the Chicago White Sox, the club acquired right-hander Tommy Kahnle from the Rockies on Tuesday evening in exchange for minor league pitcher Yency Almonte.

Kahnle was designated for assignment by the Rockies last week in a flurry of moves made in preparation of next month’s Rule 5 Draft. The 26-year-old former fifth-round pick posted an ugly 4.86 ERA, 1.77 WHIP, and 39/28 K/BB ratio in 33 1/3 innings this past season for Colorado and he wasn’t much better at Triple-A Albuquerque.

Almonte, 21, had a 3.41 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 110/38 K/BB ratio in 137 1/3 innings this past season between Low-A Kannapolis and High-A Winston-Salem.

It’s a straight one-for-one deal of two non-prospects, and the timing of it — in the evening, with Thanksgiving approaching — has our Craig Calcaterra wondering whether an executive was just trying to get out of some family responsibilities …

Mark McGwire to become the Padres bench coach

Los Angeles Dodgers batting coach Mark McGwire roams the field during practice for the National League baseball championship series Thursday, Oct. 10, 2013, in St. Louis. The Dodgers are scheduled to play the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 1 of the NLCS on Friday in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

The other day Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the Padres were in discussions with former Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire about their bench coach job. Today Jon Heyman reports that the deal is done and will soon be announced.

McGwire has been the hitting coach for Los Angeles for the past three seasons. When his contract was not renewed following the end of 2015 he was rumored to be up for the Diamondbacks’ hitting coach job. He likely view staying in Southern California to be a plus, as he makes his home in Irvine, which is around 90 miles from Petco Park. That’s a long commute, but Mac can afford the gas, I guess.