With Bruce out, it's time for Reds to sell

Leave a comment

The situation hardly seemed rosy a week ago. While the standings said
the NL Central title was still very much in reach, the Reds mostly
sported a lineup with just two above average regulars and a rotation
that seemed to be fading quickly after such a promising start. Trades
for outfielders or a third baseman were considered, but nothing ever
materialized. It looked like the only way the offense was going to
become formidable was if Jay Bruce started fulfilling his potential and
Edwin Encarnacion returned to previous form after coming back from the
DL.

Well, Encarnacion is back now, but Bruce is done for 6-8 weeks after
fracturing his wrist in the outfield. Odds are that he’ll return for
the final month and maybe a little more, but as poorly as he had been
playing with a healthy wrist, it’s doubtful that he’ll emerge as a
force prior to 2010.

The Reds might be able to survive if the pitching were still coming
through in a big way, but there are few encouraging signs. Aaron Harang
was 5-4 with a 3.36 ERA in May 25. He’s 5-9 with a 4.18 ERA now. Johnny
Cueto, one of the NL’s top three or four pitchers for the first three
months, has struggled in four of his last five appearances, taking his
ERA from 2.17 to 3.62. Bronson Arroyo was lit up in three straight
outings before shutting out Triple-A Norfolk last time out. There’s
still no telling when Edinson Volquez will return from his elbow
problems, and Micah Owings is probably the team’s best option to play
right field in place of Bruce.

Selling is the best answer. None of the team’s veterans are going to
be bargains in upcoming seasons, and there are no stars that would be
impossible to replace in free agency. If the Reds have the chance to
dump Arroyo’s contract, they should take it. He’ll make $11 million in
2010 and $11 million-$13 million if his 2011 option is picked up ($2
million if not). David Weathers, Arthur Rhodes, Ramon Hernandez and
Jonny Gomes could bring in prospects. Perhaps Jerry Hairston Jr. as
well, if teams particularly value his versatility.

Harang is probably the best trade chip, even if the midst of a
second disappointing season. His K/BB ratio remains quite strong, and
while he’s always going to give up homers, his .294 average against
this year seems pretty fluky. He’s not cheap, as he’s guaranteed $12.5
million in 2010 and has a $12.75 million club option for 2011 with a $2
million buyout. However, that is the going rate for above average
innings-eaters. Ideally, the Reds could get a young shortstop for him.
The Angels seem like a pretty good match with Brandon Wood.

The Reds may well hurt their chances in 2010 by moving Harang and
others, but they could potentially have as much money to spend in free
agency as any club in the NL. Cueto and Volquez still look like
potential top-of-the rotation starters, and those two combine with
Bruce and Joey Votto to form one of the game’s most talented cores. If
Harang and Arroyo were moved, Francisco Cordero, who has a no-trade
clause through the end of the year, would be the team’s only player
making more than $7 million. They’ll have a ton of flexibility, leaving
them with little need to settle for more Hairstons, Taverases and
Lincolns when they go shopping this winter. The future still looks
pretty bright.

Billy Butler on altercation with Danny Valencia: “We had equal faults in this.”

OAKLAND, CA - JULY 24: Billy Butler #16 of the Oakland Athletics celebrates a solo homerun in the bottom of the eighth inning to regain the lead against the Tampa Bay Rays at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum on July 24, 2016 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Don Feria/Getty Images)
Don Feria/Getty Images
Leave a comment

On Friday, Athletics teammates Billy Butler and Danny Valencia were involved in a clubhouse altercation that started when Butler told an equipment representative that Valencia was wearing off-brand spikes during games. Valencia didn’t like Butler’s interference, potentially costing him an endorsement deal, so he punched Butler in the temple, causing a concussion.

Neither player had said much to the media about the incident, but Butler finally addressed the issue on Wednesday. MLB.com’s Mark Chiarelli reported Butler’s comments:

“This was something that could’ve been prevented on both sides,” Butler said. “We had equal faults in this. I definitely said some things that you shouldn’t have. I definitely stepped in an area where it wasn’t my business.”

[…]

“By no means do I think his intentions were to give me a concussion,” Butler said. “This is me addressing my faults and what I took away from the team.”

[…]

“To say that we’re enemies is not right,” Butler said. “To blame this all on one side is not right either.”

Butler also apologized to his teammates. “I would like to apologize for putting [my teammates] through this because they didn’t deserve this. This was an issue between me and Danny. To be fair for them, they didn’t deserve this. The coaching staff didn’t deserve this. The organization didn’t deserve this,” he said.

Butler is making progress in his recovery from his concussion. He’ll travel with the team to St. Louis to open up a three-game series against the Cardinals starting on Friday. If he passes his concussion protocol test, the Athletics will put him back on the active roster from the seven-day concussion disabled list.

Report: Pablo Sandoval has lost 22 pounds during his rehab

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - APRIL 11:  Pablo Sandoval #48 of the Boston Red Sox looks on from the dugout before the Red Sox home opener against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park on April 11, 2016 in Boston, Massachusetts. The Orioles defeat the Red Sox 9-7.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
4 Comments

WEEI’s Rob Bradford reports that Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval has lost 22 pounds during his rehabilitation after undergoing shoulder surgery in early May. Weight has been the top subject of conversation regarding Sandoval ever since he showed up to spring training and an unflattering photograph was published by the Boston Globe.

Sandoval had a miserable spring training, batting .204 in 49 at-bats and lost out on the starting third base job to Travis Shaw. He went hitless in seven regular season plate appearances before landing on the disabled list with a sprained left shoulder, which ultimately required reconstructive surgery.

Sandoval is still under contract through at least 2019, earning $17 million next season, and $18 million in ’18 and ’19. His controlling club has a $17 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2020 as well. It’s hard to see Sandoval fitting into his current club’s future plans, but it will be tough for the Red Sox to get rid of him without eating a significant portion of his remaining contract.