Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News says it’s time to cut $126-million man Barry Zito loose:
So there’s a test coming up for new
owner Bill Neukom and General Manager Brian Sabean. A big one. And it
could come in a matter of days (Zito is slated to start Saturday in
Pittsburgh) or, at the most, a few weeks.
They have to seriously consider
pulling Zito from the rotation when and if Randy Johnson is ready to
go, presuming Jonathan Sanchez and Ryan Sadowski hold up. And the
Giants have to very seriously consider trying to trade Zito to any
suitable team that will take some of his money (Zito has a no-trade
clause); or they have to think about releasing him in the off-season.
With Jonathan Sanchez’s no-hitter still fresh in our minds, Zito is an
easy target. He was pounded in his last start before the break,
allowing a season-high nine runs over 4 1/3 innings against the Padres.
We all know the contract is awful, arguably one of the worst ever,
but so far in 2009, Zito has compiled his best FIP as a member of the
Giants at 4.59. He’s allowed three runs or less in 10 of 18 starts this
season. The beneficiary of lowered expectations, he’s on pace for his
best FIP since 2005 as a member of the Athletics.
With the emergence of Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain, and assuming that
Randy Johnson can get healthy, Zito doesn’t need to be anything more
than a fourth or fifth starter for this team. They would benefit more
by dealing Sanchez (at his highest value) for a bat. Finding a taker
for Zito will be near impossible, unless, of course, they would be
willing to take on another albatross like Vernon Wells. Even that is
ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Dodgers pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu felt sore after his latest rehab start with Triple-A Oklahoma City. The Dodgers will have him back off his planned assignments as a result.
Ryu hasn’t pitched for the Dodgers since September 12, 2014. He had offseason shoulder surgery and then suffered a groin injury in April. The Dodgers were hoping to get him back around mid-June but they’ll likely have to wait longer than that now.
Prior to Wednesday’s Triple-A rehab start, Ryu appeared in two rehab outings with Single-A Rancho Cucamonga. He has decent results in his three appearances, yielding three runs (one earned) on eight hits with no walks and six strikeouts in nine innings.
Jackie Bradley, Jr.’s hitting streak may be gone, but Xander Bogaerts‘ is still alive and kicking. The Red Sox shortstop extended his streak to 22 games on Sunday afternoon against the Blue Jays, hitting a ground ball single to left field off of R.A. Dickey in the sixth inning.
Coming into Sunday’s action, Bogaerts’ .351 batting average was the best mark in the American League and bested only by the Nationals’ Daniel Murphy (.390) and Ben Zobrist (.354). Bogaerts’ 71 total hits marked the most in baseball entering Sunday as well.
Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported on Saturday that the Padres and White Sox have been discussing a trade involving starter James Shields. Those talks have “significant momentum,” according to Lin. MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, however, says that nothing is imminent and that the Padres have fielded calls from a lot of teams interested in Shields.
Shields, 34, has a 3.06 ERA and a 56/23 K/BB ratio over 10 starts this season. He’s in the second year of a four-year, $75 million contract, earning $21 million this season as well as in 2017-18 with a $2 million buyout if his 2019 club option for $16 million is declined. Presumably, the Padres would be covering a portion of that remaining contract.
The White Sox got off to a hot start, but have slumped in May. The club entered Sunday on a five-game losing streak and had lost 11 of the previous 14 games. While Chris Sale and Jose Quintana have been outstanding at the top of the starting rotation, the back end of Carlos Rodon, Mat Latos, and Miguel Gonzalez has been underwhelming.
Update (3:13 PM EDT): The no-hit bid is over. Odorizzi got Jacoby Ellsbury to ground out to lead off the seventh inning, but issued a walk to Brett Gardner before Starlin Castro crushed a two-run home run to left-center field, putting the Yankees up 2-1.
Rays starter Jake Odorizzi is two-thirds of the way towards a no-hitter against the Yankees on Sunday afternoon. On 81 pitches thus far, the right-hander has struck out five and walked none on 83 pitches. The lone blemish is a fielding error by shortstop Brad Miller.
The Rays have provided Odorizzi with just one run of support, coming on an RBI single by Evan Longoria in the third inning against Yankees starter Nathan Eovaldi.
If Odorizzi can finish the final three innings without a hit, he would record the Rays’ first no-hitter since Matt Garza on July 26, 2010 against the Tigers. For the Yankees, it would be the first time they would be victims of a no-hitter since the Astros’ combined no-hitter on June 11, 2003 which involved Roy Oswalt, Pete Munro, Kirk Saarloos, Brad Lidge, Octavio Dotel, and Billy Wagner.