* Assuming that he doesn’t go missing again, Bartolo Colon looks ready
to rejoin the White Sox’s rotation after racking up eight strikeouts
over seven innings of two-run ball in his latest Triple-A start.
* Citi Field in New York has reportedly been chosen to host the All-Star game in 2013. Anaheim, Arizona, and Kansas City will be the hosts in 2010, 2011, and 2012.
* Speaking of the All-Star game, this year’s television ratings were down slightly compared to last year despite the Barack Obama-led pregame festivities getting a slight ratings bump. Of course, MLB.com has a slightly different spin on the numbers.
* Dave Allen of Fan Graphs has some great analysis of Tim Lincecum and his amazing changeup.
* Fans in Portland got to see the International League squeak by the Pacific Coast League in last night’s Triple-A All-Star game.
The St. Louis Cardinals have acquired Marcell Ozuna from the Miami Marlins. Craig Mish of Sirius XM was the first to report that the deal was done. Ozuna still has to take a physical.
There is no report yet about what the Cards had to give up to get Ozuna, but given that the Cards and Marlins put a deal together for Giancarlo Stanton, the sides certainly have discussed various Cards prospects recently.
Ozuna fills a major need for the Cardinals, who had serious weaknesses in the middle of the order in 2017. Last year their number three hitters hit a combined .246/.338/.425 and their cleanup hitters hit 270/.350/.444. Ozuna, 27, had a fantastic offensive year in 2017, hitting .312/.376/.548 with 37 home runs and 124 RBI in 159 games.
Ozuna made $3.5 million this past season and is due for arbitration this offseason. He is under contractual control through 2019.