* This isn’t really Quote of the Day material, but when asked yesterday
why the Rangers are moving Derek Holland back to the bullpen manager
Ron Washington said:
“We know he can pitch out of the bullpen very, very effectively.” Maybe
it’s just me, but the combination of “we know” and “very, very” is
amusing about a guy who’s made a grand total of 12 relief appearances
in his entire professional career and has a 5.40 ERA as a big-league
* Jamie McOwen of the Mariners’ high Single-A team extended his hitting streak to 44 games last night with a broken-bat single in the eighth inning. McOwen, who was involved in that crazy 33-18 game
last month, now has the longest minor-league hitting streak since Roman
Mejias hit safely in 55 straight games in 1954. McOwen is batting .353
after hitting just .263 for the same team last year.
* The latest plan for Raul Ibanez involves coming off the disabled list Friday and starting the All-Star game Tuesday.
* Justin Morneau announced yesterday
that he will not defend his Home Run Derby crown, although ESPN and
most fans probably “remember” Josh Hamilton winning the contest last
* Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star is not a big fan of proposing to your girlfriend at a baseball game, likening it to “wearing acid-washed jeans.”