Eric Wedge's job is safe for some reason

Leave a comment

As I mentioned in the recaps this morning, Eric Wedge’s job is safe:

Cleveland general manager Mark Shapiro says Indians manager Eric
Wedge’s job is safe for the rest of the season. The Indians, expected
to contend in the AL Central Division, are 33-49, the worst record in
the league. Shapiro says this season’s disappointments are the fault of
players, the manager, coaches and the front office.

Four things listed there. Let’s break them down:

Players: roster assembled by GM
Coaches: hired by the GM
Front Office: run by the GM
Manager: Wedge.

Maybe GM Mark Shapiro is right not to fire Wedge. After all, he’s only 1/4 of the problem . . .

In all seriousness, however, this has to be pretty demoralizing for
Indians’ fans who are very, very tired of team Shapiro-Wedge at this
point. The CW is to point to injuries, but every team suffers injuries.
The job of the GM and the manager is to work through them, and Shapiro
and Wedge have been utterly unable to do that. Shapiro set up a roster
dependent upon too many guys with injury histories staying healthy and
on too many pitchers who would have to have or at least repeat career
years in order to be useful. Meanwhile one can only assume that Wedge
is the one who has insisted on the Tribe carrying a thirteen man
pitching staff while scraping to cover for Sizemore’s absence in center
and while Matt LaPorta rots down in Columbus (not that there’s anything wrong with C-Bus). In light of all of that, how are Shapiro and Wedge still employed?

A fellow who comments at my other blog
believes that the real problem is simple dollars and cents: “Wedge, and
more than likely Shapiro, would have been fired a while back if Larry
Dolan had the money to pay their salaries and the guys who would
replace them.” There may be some truth to that. Shapiro is under
contract through 2012, and likely makes something more than Eric Wedge
— who is under contract through next year — does, at just north of a
million a year. Figure, then, that canning those guys will cause Dolan
to have to pay at least another $5 million to fill their jobs.

None of which makes this any less depressing for Indians’ fans.

Orioles have reached out to Yovani Gallardo

Yovani Gallardo
AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

From Jon Heyman of CBS Sports comes word that the Orioles “like” free agent starter Yovani Gallardo and “have reached out to him” to gauge his interest in coming to Baltimore and what that might cost.

Gallardo rejected a one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer from the Rangers earlier this month and so his free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t hurt his bottom line all that much.

The 29-year-old right-hander posted a solid 3.42 ERA in 184 1/3 innings (33 starts) this past season for Texas and he pitched well in his one ALDS start.

Heyman reported a few weeks ago that the Diamondbacks are interested, and the Cubs, Blue Jays, and Dodgers were tied to him just ahead of the July 31 trade deadline.

Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, and Red Sox all showing serious interest in David Price

AP Photo/Tim Donnelly

David Price has expressed a desire to return to Toronto, where he finished out the 2015 season, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal writes Wednesday that the Blue Jays “are not expected to be a major factor in his free agency.”

The teams that should be considered serious suitors, per Rosenthal, are the Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, and Red Sox — all deep-pocketed teams looking to contend in 2016. Money is apparently the issue for the Blue Jays, who are currently owned by Rogers Communications.

Price registered an outstanding 2.45 ERA, 1.076 WHIP, and 225/47 K/BB ratio in 220 1/3 innings (32 starts) this past season between the Tigers and Jays, finishing second in the American League Cy Young Award race behind Dallas Keuchel of the Astros.

The 30-year-old left-hander is probably looking for a six- or seven-year contract worth more than $25 million per season. He is represented by agent Bo McKinnis.

Marlins have begun extension talks with Dee Gordon

Dee Gordon
AP Photo/Alex Brandon

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald wrote three weeks ago that the Marlins were probably going to explore an extension this winter with second baseman Dee Gordon. And it sounds like those talks are underway.

Via beat writer Joe Frisaro of

As a guest on MLB Network’s “Hot Stove” show Wednesday morning, Gordon confirmed his camp has been in talks with the Marlins regarding a multiyear deal. A source told that the discussions are preliminary and have just recently started.

“My agent is doing the talking,” Gordon said on the show. “They’re just keeping me in the loop. I think it’s going pretty well right now. We’ll see how that goes. I’m just playing the waiting game. We’re going to do the right thing.”

The 27-year-old carries three more seasons of salary arbitration, so there’s no real rush to get something done before next spring. Gordon carries quite a bit of leverage after posting a career-best .333/.359/.418 slash line in 145 games this past season for the Fish. He led all major leaguers in hits (205) and stolen bases (58).

Braves sign Bud Norris to one-year contract

Bud Norris

Bud Norris has found a home for his attempt at a bounceback season, signing a one-year deal with the Braves. Jon Heyman of says it’s worth $2.5 million, which is a huge cut from his $8.8 million salary this year.

Norris had established himself as a solid mid-rotation starter from 2009-2014, but had a brutal 2015 season split between the Orioles and Padres with a 6.72 ERA in 83 innings and a late-season move to the bullpen.

In announcing the signing the Braves referred to Norris as a starting pitcher, so joining the rotation for a rebuilding team gives him a chance to get his career back on track with an eye on hitting the open market as a free agent again next offseason. And if he fares well, the Braves could use him to add a prospect or two at the trade deadline.