Smoltz nervous but ready for his first start

Leave a comment

John Smoltz returns tonight, and he’s a bit nervous about it:

“Hopefully I learn from some of those past experiences of what I call
two of the most anxious moments: first game as a closer and then my
first game back as a starter after five years, neither of which did I
do very well — and both of those years turned out to be great years,”
Smoltz said. “So I’m not going to get too caught up in whether or not
tomorrow is a success or a failure based on one start.”

I’m not exactly sure what Smotlz is referring to when he says he
didn’t do well in his first game as a closer. He went to the pen in
July of 2001, and in his first game back
he gave up no runs, no hits, no walks and struck out a guy against the
Expos. If he’s referring to the beginning of his first full season as
The Closer for the Braves — 2002 — he’s wrong too. In his first appearance that season he struck out two of the three men he faced and again didn’t allow a runner. It wasn’t until his second appearance — against the Mets — where he got shelled.

He was right, though, about his first game back as a starter. He was destroyed on Opening Day 2005 against the Marlins: 1.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R.

Dodgers designate Sergio Romo for assignment

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.

Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.

Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.

Nate Karns underwent season-ending surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome

Brian Blanco/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.

The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.

Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.