The Sosa leak is worse than the Sosa 'roids

Leave a comment

Obviously the story of the day is Sammy Sosa. Earlier, Bob cataloged the non-surprise to the Sosa news. At NBC Sports proper, Mike Celzic writes that rather than burn Sosa at the stake, our focus should be on Bud Selig and Don Fehr.

My view: I share the lack of surprise Bob mentions and the lack of ire
at Sammy Sosa for many of the reasons Mike mentions. But to me, the
real issue here is the fact that list of the 2003 test results — which
was intended to be first confidential and then was supposed to be
destroyed — is being leaked. The MLBPA and/or Major League Baseball
screwed up royal in allowing that list to survive when they had agreed
that it would not. The people who subjected themselves to the drug
testing that formed its basis (a) did so in order to move the ball
forward on drug testing in baseball; and (b) had an expectation that
their identities would remain confidential. That expectation has now
been spectacularly confounded, and the practical result of it is that
anyone who cares about their privacy is now being sent the message that
they should not, under any circumstances, participate in their
employers’ drug testing program, however confidential it is supposed to
be. You never know: your name could wind up in the newspapers! Your
mileage may vary, but I don’t think the avoidance of workplace drug
testing is something anyone wants to encourage. As a result of all of
this, it’s my view that the list should be ordered destroyed, though I
suspect that in the Internet age, such an order would be meaningless.
Information wants to be free, and enough people have it now that I
suspect it all will be some day.

The greater wrong in my mind is the fact of the leaks themselves. I’m a
lawyer by trade, and it shocks me that fellow officers of the court are
divulging this sort of information to the media. This is evidence that
was seized in an ongoing criminal case that is subject to court order
putatively preventing its release. The act of leaking this stuff is, at
the very least, a violation of that court order and a violation of
legal ethics. Depending on the exact language of the order, it could be
a criminal act. I don’t know about you, but that causes me far more
concern than whether Sammy Sosa took steroids six years ago.

Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski says trading Allen Craig would be “ideal”

Allen Craig
AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

Allen Craig has been dreadful since the Red Sox acquired him from the Cardinals in the mid-2014 John Lackey trade, slashing .128/.234/.191 in 107 plate appearances last year and .152/.239/.203 in 88 plate appearances at the major league level this year.

Craig hasn’t been the same player since suffering a Lisfranc injury in 2013, and the 31-year-old first baseman and corner outfielder is still owed $20 million from a five-year, $31 million extension he signed with the Cardinals. So, yeah, the Red Sox would love to find a taker this winter, as new club president Dave Dombrowski told Tim Britton of the Providence Journal on Tuesday …

You don’t often hear an executive express that kind of thing publicly. It was former Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington who brought Craig to Boston.


Video: Javier Baez hits go-ahead three-run bomb in NLDS Game 4

Javier Baez
AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast
Leave a comment

Cardinals starter John Lackey had a clean first inning in Game 4 of the NLDS on Tuesday afternoon at Wrigley Field, but Anthony Rizzo opened the bottom of the second a shift-beating single to the left side of the infield and then Starlin Castro reached on a fielder’s choice grounder to short. Kyle Schwarber came through with a single and Jason Hammel followed a Miguel Montero strikeout with a two-out, run-scoring liner up the middle.

Enter young shortstop prospect Javier Baez, who’s filling in for the injured Addison Russell in Game 4 as the Cubs try to advance to the NLCS …

Opposite field. Wind-aided, sure, but it probably didn’t need the wind anyway. What a shot.

Chicago leads the visiting Cardinals 4-2 as the sixth inning gets underway at Wrigley.

Juan Uribe not close to being available for the Mets

Juan Uribe
Leave a comment

Mets infielder Juan Uribe has been sidelined since late September with a chest injury and it sounds like he won’t be available for the NLCS if New York advances.

Mets manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that Uribe has yet to resume baseball activities and continues to experience discomfort.

Uribe was a useful late-July pickup for the Mets and hit .253 with 14 homers and a .737 OPS in 119 total games for three different teams this season, but his postseason role would be pretty limited even if he were healthy.