Guillen might be done, so Tigers start shopping

Leave a comment

When the Tigers placed Carlos Guillen on the disabled list last month
with a sore right shoulder manager Jim Leyland expected a quick return,
saying: “Two weeks should do it.”

Three weeks later Guillen admitted that he’d yet to even test the
injured shoulder, the following week he underwent an MRI exam that
reportedly revealed no structural damage, and two weeks after that
Leyland explained that it was “going to be a while” before he was back
in the lineup.

And now Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com–and formerly the Tigers beat writer for the Detroit Free Pressreports
that “Guillen’s season will be in jeopardy if his right shoulder
doesn’t improve soon.” Agent Peter Greenberg told Morosi that Guillen
will likely opt for season-ending surgery if it doesn’t look like he’s
close to returning by some time next month and may need to go under the
knife during the offseason either way.

“He’s trying to do everything he can to avoid surgery, especially
since it’s his throwing shoulder,” Greenberg said. In the second year
of a four-year, $48 million contract extension, Guillen is making $12
million this season and is owed another $13 million for each of the
next two seasons.

When healthy Guillen has been one of the more underrated hitters in
baseball, batting .304/.373/.484 in six seasons with Detroit after a
modest start to his career in Seattle. Of course, he’s also bounced all
over the diamond defensively while missing one-fourth of the Tigers’
games. Still, Detroit is finding it difficult to replace his bat, as
Tigers left fielders rank second-to-last in the league with a .681 OPS.

By making a decision on surgery by the middle of next month Guillen
would give the Tigers enough time to pursue a replacement bat prior to
the July 31 trading deadline and owner Mike Ilitch said yesterday
that he’s willing to increase the team’s payroll if necessary. In other
words, Guillen or not don’t count on seeing Josh Anderson and Ryan
Raburn patrolling left field down the stretch.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
8 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.