Someone please kill Twitter. Kill it with fire:
Following the Red Sox’ 4-3 win over the Yankees, Thursday night at
Fenway Park — their eighth victory in as many meetings with New York
this season — Sox majority owner John Henry posted on his Twitter
account: “the MT Curse?” The ‘MT’ was assumed to be in reference to
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira, who signed with the Yankees
instead of the Red Sox. But a few hours later, in an email to WEEI.com,
Henry wrote: “Purely Entertainment. Nothing more. I don’t believe in
OK, that’s not fair. Twitter isn’t the problem here. It’s just the
medium. This is really two problems, a minor one and a major one. The
minor one is that John Henry doesn’t know how curses are supposed to
work. The Red Sox allegedly failed to win the World Series for over
eight decades because they gave up the guy they should have kept, not
because they got him. For there to be some curse analogous to that of
the Bambino here, it would have to be the curse of, hell, I dunno, John
Smoltz or Brad Penny or something. Wait, the Yankees didn’t want those
guys. Look, just make up your own curse, I don’t have time to think
The major problem here is the pathological overreaction to this kind
of stuff by the East Coast media. So John Henry said something somewhat
off-the-wall late in the evening. Henry is my mom’s age. She’s so batty
we can’t take her in public, so this isn’t exactly news. Nevertheless,
we can be assured that Henry’s tweets will be all over the Boston and New York media today. If that seagull thing had happened in the Sox-Yankees game the bird’s family would be on all of the talk shows today.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.