Another day, another awful outfield D for Twins

Leave a comment

Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports
that Denard Span will not join the Twins during their three-game series
at Wrigley Field that begins this afternoon because the team has been
unable to uncover the source of his dizziness:

Team doctors
have him on medication for an inner ear infection and don’t want him to
travel. The first time Span’s dizziness came about he started on
medication for an inner ear infection, but [manager Ron] Gardenhire
said the meds made Span feel sick and so he stopped using them. Span
also missed an appointment a couple of weeks ago with a thyroid
specialist … Span overslept and missed that appointment. He’s been
rescheduled with the specialist for Tuesday, Gardenhire said.

Span
has been hugely valuable to the Twins since establishing himself as
their leadoff man in the middle of last season, hitting .293/.384/.414
with 30 steals, 78 walks, and 105 runs in 150 games. And not only does
the lineup suffer without his bat, Ron Gardenhire’s frustrating refusal
to give Carlos Gomez regular playing time leaves the Twins with a
horrendous defensive outfield for the second straight game.

Gomez
is one of baseball’s elite defensive center fielders, but is apparently
so buried in the doghouse that Gardenhire would rather trot out sub par
right fielder Michael Cuddyer in center field flanked by awful corner
outfielders Delmon Young and Jason Kubel. The combination is among the
worst defensive outfields in a long time and, while it didn’t hurt the
Twins yesterday, will eventually cost them a significant number of runs.

Gomez is an incredibly raw 23-year-old with a great glove and a terrible bat, so it seems obvious that he needs to be playing regularly
whether at Triple-A or in Minnesota. Instead, Gardenhire has started
him in just 35 of 63 games and would rather go with a trio of
below-average corner guys in the outfield than even let Gomez sub for
Span. Oh, and here’s the kicker: Gomez has a .573 OPS compared to .574
from Young.

Report: Mets showing interest in Bartolo Colon

Getty Images
2 Comments

Last month, free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon told reporters that he’d be open to taking a minor league deal in 2018, but only if he was guaranteed a return to the Mets’ system. The 44-year-old starter is nearing the end of a 20-year career, and it makes sense that he’d want to have one last hurrah in the city where he had some of his most productive years.

Now, Twins starter Ervin Santana tells Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press, it looks like the Mets might also be open to a reunion. It’s doubtful that Colon has all that much left in the tank, especially following a combined 7-14 record and 6.48 ERA for the Braves and Twins last year, but he’s not necessarily looking to reproduce the 15+ win, sub-4.00 ERA totals of years past.

Instead, Santana says, Colon is seeking the opportunity to win just six more games. He’ll enter the 2018 season five wins shy of the all-time record for a Latin American-born player, and is hoping to claim that title for himself before he enters retirement in 2019. Former Orioles and Expos hurler Dennis Martinez currently holds the record after clinching his 245th win back in 1998. While it took Colon a full season of starts to come up with even seven wins in 2017, he’s only one year removed from a 15-win campaign in 2016. Provided that the Mets are willing to gamble on him again, the milestone may not be that far out of reach.