Daily Dose: Verlander wins seventh straight

Leave a comment

Justin Verlander took matters into his own hands Wednesday with Joel
Zumaya and Fernando Rodney both unavailable after working three
straight days, holding the White Sox to one run in a complete-game win.

Jim Thome’s solo homer was the only damage, as Verlander struck out
nine and walked one while topping 110 pitches for the eighth time in
nine starts. He’s 7-0 with a 1.10 ERA in that time.

While the Tigers sit seven games above .500 while the rest of their
division is 24 games below .500, here are some other notes from around
baseball …

* Grady Sizemore is still experiencing pain in his elbow, so he’ll
be shut down for the rest of the week before undergoing an MRI exam
Monday. He’s still hoping to avoid surgery, but Indians trainer Lonnie
Soloff said Wednesday that he’s unsure whether the “incremental gains
in range of motion” that Sizemore has made are enough for that to be
likely. Surgery would knock him out for another 4-6 weeks.

* John Smoltz is scheduled to make his final minor-league rehab
start Thursday at Triple-A after posting a 1.56 ERA, 13/2 K/BB ratio,
and .148 batting average against through his first four outings. If
things go smoothly Smoltz could join the Red Sox’s rotation as soon as
Tuesday against the Marlins, although Boston will have to make a
decision on which starter to bump before then.

* Brandon Morrow has changed his mind again regarding his long-term
role and asked the Mariners to let him try starting again after
struggling mightily as closer before losing ninth-inning duties to
David Aardsma. Seattle never should have let Morrow become a full-time reliever
at the age of 24 anyway and starting again is the best thing for him,
but he’ll be at Triple-A for a while building arm strength.

* Jim Leyland announced Wednesday that Dontrelle Willis will remain
in Detroit’s rotation, which tells you how bad Jeremy Bonderman looked
in his season debut. Willis is 1-3 with a 6.60 ERA and 16/20 K/BB ratio
in 30 innings, yet Leyland said that he “deserves” to start Sunday.
Willis has looked fairly serviceable when he’s not imploding, but the
decision says more about Bonderman’s diminished stuff.

* Ozzie Guillen revealed Wednesday that Carlos Quentin likely won’t
return from his foot injury until after the All-Star break, which is
rough news for a White Sox’s offense that ranks 12th among AL teams in
runs. Scott Podsednik has started 16 straight games in Quentin’s
absence and is playing surprisingly well, but his OPS is still 225
points below Quentin’s mark from last season and he’s due to decline.

* Anthony Reyes was one of my sleeper picks in AL-only leagues
coming into the year, but he posted a 6.57 ERA in eight starts before
landing on the disabled list and is now scheduled to undergo ulnar
nerve transposition surgery Friday at the hands of Dr. James Andrews.
Andrews may also perform Tommy John surgery if he discovers that Reyes
needs the ligament replaced, so his career is in trouble.

AL Quick Hits: John Lackey was rocked for nine runs Wednesday
and has a 6.61 ERA in six starts since coming off the disabled list …
Mark Teixeira went 4-for-5 with a homer Wednesday and is batting .343
with 16 homers in 36 games since his terrible April … Jeff Niemann
followed up last week’s complete-game shutout by allowing five runs in
3.2 innings Wednesday … Carl Pavano’s strong 11-start stretch came to a
screeching halt Wednesday as he coughed up nine runs … Gil Meche threw
seven scoreless innings Wednesday and tied a career-high with 11
strikeouts … Chien-Ming Wang didn’t make it out of the third inning
Wednesday and Phil Hughes also struggled relieving him … Denard Span
has left the Twins to have his bouts of dizziness examined … Alberto
Callaspo went 4-for-4 with a grand slam Wednesday, driving in his first
runs since May 16 … Jacoby Ellsbury sat out Wednesday’s game with
continued shoulder soreness.

NL Quick Hits: David Wright went 3-for-5 with two stolen bases
Wednesday and has already surpassed last year’s total of 15 steals …
Brad Lidge (knee) hopes to come off the disabled list in about two
weeks, but the Phillies have expressed much less optimism … Jorge Cantu
said Wednesday that his recent dizziness is caused by cholesterol
medication and should “clear out” soon … Charlie Morton lasted just one
inning against his former Braves teammates Wednesday, leaving with a
strained hamstring … Roy Oswalt’s next start has been pushed back from
Thursday to Saturday because of wrist soreness … Kyle Lohse (forearm)
will be out for at least a month and possibly through the All-Star
break … No. 10 pick Drew Storen signed before the draft was even over
Wednesday and the Stanford closer will be on the fast track to
Washington … Rich Harden (back) will be on an 85-pitch limit Saturday …
Rick Ankiel missed the cycle by a single Wednesday.

Angels ink Javy Guerra to minor league deal

Screenshot 2016-02-10 at 7.43.02 PM
Rich Pilling/Getty Images North America
Leave a comment

Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with right-handed reliever Javy Guerra. The deal includes an invitation to major league spring training.

Guerra was suspended 50 games by Major League Baseball last July after testing positive for a drug of abuse. That suspension is now over, though Guerra is probably ticketed for the Angels’ Triple-A affiliate to begin the 2016 season.

The 30-year-old made just three major league appearances in 2015 for the White Sox before getting outrighted off Chicago’s 40-man roster. He does own a 2.87 ERA in 150 1/3 career innings, but it has come with bouts of inconsistency and unreliability.

Maybe he can get everything going in the right direction with Anaheim.

Braves sign reliever Carlos Torres

Screenshot 2016-02-10 at 7.00.22 PM
Rich Schultz/Getty Images North America
Leave a comment

As first reported by Bill Shanks of Fox Sports 1670, the Braves have signed right-handed reliever Carlos Torres to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Torres was waived by the Mets in January, somewhat surprisingly, and elected to become a free agent. The 33-year-old ultimately chose Atlanta, where he should have a good shot at an Opening Day roster out of spring training with the rapidly-rebuilding Braves.

Torres posted an ugly 4.68 ERA in 57 2/3 innings last season for the Mets, but he registered a gorgeous 3.06 ERA and 96 strikeouts across 97 innings in 2014.

If he gets off to a good start in 2016, he could become valuable trade bait.

Blue Jays will have a closer competition this spring

Screenshot 2016-02-10 at 6.22.24 PM
Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images North America
3 Comments

Roberto Osuna became the youngest pitcher to ever play for the Blue Jays last season at age 20 and he rose to the challenge with a 2.58 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, and 75/16 K/BB ratio in 69 2/3 frames. Osuna eventually took over as Toronto’s closer, earning 20 regular-season saves and one in the American League Division Series — a five-out effort in Game 5 to close out the visiting Rangers.

But the Jays upgraded the back end of their bullpen this winter, acquiring Drew Storen from the Nationals in early January for speedy outfielder Ben Revere. Jesse Chavez was also brought to Toronto in a trade with the A’s.

Storen has more experience at closer than Osuna, and Storen struggled when the Nationals tried to put him in a setup role. Storen, in his final year of salary arbitration, also gets paid much more. He’s probably going to enter spring training as the favorite for the Jays’ ninth-inning gig, but there will be a competition …

Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins told Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca on Wednesday that he doesn’t expect the team to choose between Osuna or Storen until midway through spring training, if not later.

There’s been talk of making Osuna a starter, so add that wrinkle.

Storen, 28, boasts 95 career major league saves.

Orioles plotting late-offseason push? Gallardo, Fowler, Alvarez, Bruce in consideration

orioles logo
6 Comments

Baltimore’s front office appears to be lining up a run of potential roster additions leading into the beginning of spring training.

We’ve already passed along the reports suggesting they are close to a three-year deal with free agent starter Yovani Gallardo, but now FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal adds that free agent outfielder Dexter Fowler could be next on the Orioles’ target list. It they get those two deals done, the O’s could then chase free agent slugger Pedro Alvarez.

Rosenthal says the Orioles are even eyeing Jay Bruce of the Reds, though the FOX reporter hears the O’s might not have the prospects to pull off that kind of trade.

The focus for the Orioles out of the gate this winter was re-signing Matt Wieters and Chris Davis. Wieters accepted his one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer in November and Davis was locked up to a seven-year, $161 million contract in mid-January.

Now the O’s are spending a little leftover cash on late-offseason additions to improve their position in what should be a tight 2016 American League East race.