Adenhart's driver was DUI too

Leave a comment

From the O.C. Register:

An autopsy report showed Courtney Frances Stewart had a
blood-alcohol content above the legal limit for someone her age when
the car she was driving was struck by an alleged drunken driver on
April 9, prosecutors said . . . Toxicology tests conducted by the
Orange County Coroner showed Stewart had a blood-alcohol content of
.06, said Deputy District Attorney Susan Price. The legal limit in
California for drivers under 21 is .01, while the limit for drivers 21
or older is .08.

There’s a self-serving quote from the defendant’s lawyer, in which he
says that this new information is “a big revelation.” Hardly. The fact
that Stewart was over the legal limit for people under 21 only means
that she could, if she were still alive, be charged with DUI. Her being
under the influence, however, does not mean that she did anything to
cause the crash, and for Gallo’s lawyer to push that defense would
require some evidence, beyond her mere BAC, that Stewart’s driving
contributed to the collision. The evidence that has been reported so
far, however, suggests that the driver of the other car, Andrew Gallo,
was driving at a high rate of speed and ran a red light while sporting
a blood-alcohol content of at least .19 (his reading two hours after
the crash). Jurors will be taking all of that into account. They won’t
simply look at the BAC levels of the drivers, throw their hands up in
the air and say “well, both were drunk, no harm, no foul.”

This same type of situation, you may already know, is at play in the Jim Leyritz case.
There, the driver who was killed was likewise over the legal limit.
Leyritz’s lawyer is apparently going to present evidence that her
driving, and not Leyritz’s, is what led to the accident. The BAC levels
will be relevant for that inquiry, but the matter of who ran the red
light and how they were otherwise driving is going to be far more
relevant.

Alex Dickerson to miss 2017 season after undergoing back surgery

Getty Images
1 Comment

Padres’ outfielder Alex Dickerson won’t see PETCO Park anytime soon — at least, not as its starting left fielder. The 27-year-old was diagnosed with a bulging disc in his lower back prior to the start of the 2017 season, and hasn’t made any kind of substantial progress in the months since. According to Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune, he suffered a setback in his recovery process last week and is set to undergo a season-ending discectomy next Wednesday.

Over 285 plate appearances, Dickerson batted .257/.333/.455 with 10 home runs and a .788 OPS for the Padres in 2016. He missed several days with a right hip contusion last July, but hasn’t experienced any substantial health problems since undergoing surgery in 2014 to repair a torn ligament in his left ankle.

The expected recovery period for lower back surgery is 3-4 months, according to Lin, which puts Dickerson’s estimated return just a few days before the end of the regular season. The Padres aren’t scraping the bottom of the NL West, but their 29-44 record doesn’t bode well for a postseason run this year. Assuming Dickerson rehabs his back in a timely manner, he should be in fine form to enter the competition for left field next spring.

Video: Hanley Ramirez’s No. 250 career home run barely left the field

Getty Images
1 Comment

Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.

Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.

According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.