Tom Glavine: Braves 'were hoping I got hurt'

Leave a comment

Tom Glavine finally spoke
about being released by the Braves during a radio interview this
morning, saying that he was “blindsided” by the move and feels the team
was hoping he would suffer a setback in his recovery from shoulder
surgery so “that would be the end of it.”

“Absolutely, they were hoping I got hurt, no question in my mind,”
Glavine said, adding that “a couple” teams have expressed interest in
signing him. According to Glavine, general manager Frank Wren told him
that “you’re not good enough to get guys out” after he tossed six
shutout innings in a rehab start Tuesday night at Single-A. Here’s more
from the 305-game winner:

Looking at the whole situation, and taking into account the amount
of time I’ve spent in this city and the amount of time I’ve spent in
baseball, there’s no question in my mind it could have been handled
better. [The Braves] don’t look at players and take into account what
they’ve done on the field, what they’ve done off the field, what
they’ve meant to the organization, what they’ve meant to the city, and
say, “Wait, these guys deserve to be treated a little bit differently
than this business model we have.”

It’s tough to really blame Glavine for feeling that he deserved better
than to be released right when he looked ready to complete his comeback
and certainly in a perfect world it would have been nice if the Braves
could have provided him an opportunity to end his Hall of Fame career
in style.

At the same time, the Braves are fighting to get above .500 and stay
in contention, and top prospect Tommy Hanson is ready to step into the
rotation while almost surely being a better pitcher than Glavine at
this stage in their respective careers. Plus, as Glavine himself
explained: “In order for them to pull this [Nate McLouth] deal off,
they had to get some money somewhere, and they got the money from
releasing me.”

David Price’s season debut could be pushed back to May

Getty Images
Leave a comment

David Price showed “strength improvements” in his elbow on Saturday, but Red Sox’ manager John Farrell still doesn’t think the left-hander will be ready to throw by the start of the season — or for a few weeks afterward. According to ESPN’s Scott Lauber, the 31-year-old might not be ready to debut until May at the earliest.

Price hasn’t thrown off of a mound this spring after experiencing soreness in his left elbow on March 1. Surgery doesn’t appear to be necessary, but the Red Sox are playing it extra safe with their No. 3 starter in hopes that rest and rehabilitation will return him to full health sometime during the 2017 season. For now, Price has been restricted to short games of catch until he’s cleared to resume a more rigorous throwing program. Via MLB.com’s Ian Browne:

[There were] strength improvements to the point of putting the ball back in his hand a little more consistently,” said manager John Farrell. “Today’s the first step for that. A short game of catch. That’s what he’s going through. Not off a mound but just to get the arm moving with a ball in flight, and he will continue in this phase for a period of time. There’s no set distance and volume yet to the throws.

The lefty is coming off of a lackluster 2016 season, during which he delivered a 3.99 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 8.9 SO/9 over 230 innings for the Red Sox.

Yadier Molina will not enter contract negotiations during the 2017 season

Getty Images
2 Comments

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals’ catcher Yadier Molina is still open to extension talks during the last week of spring training. Once Opening Day rolls around, however, Molina has preemptively nixed any contract negotiations until the end of the 2017 season, when he’s scheduled to hit free agency.

Molina wants to stay with the Cardinals, or so he’s telling reporters, but he’s also “not afraid” to test the free agent market this fall should a deal fail to materialize. Via Goold:

I would love to stay, but at the same time I’m not afraid to go to free agency. I’ve still got many years in the tank. Believe me. I feel great. I feel like a 20-year-old kid. I’m not afraid to go to free agency.

The 34-year-old backstop is entering his final year under contract, though Goold points out that he has a $15 million option for 2018 that he can choose to decline in the event that it’s exercised by the team. He’s reportedly searching for a figure closer to those made by other top catchers like Buster Posey and Russell Martin.

The 2017 season will mark Molina’s 14th year in the Cardinals’ organization, building on a career that has spanned seven All-Star campaigns, nine postseason runs and two World Series championships in St. Louis. He batted .307/.360/.427 with eight home runs and a .787 OPS for the club in 2016.