Rangers' Padilla reportedly placed on waivers

Leave a comment

Sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal that the Rangers have placed Vicente Padilla on waivers.

That the Rangers appear to be open to giving up a pitcher who is 17-11
since the beginning of last season without getting anything in return
could be a sign of just how deep owner Tom Hicks’ financial woes
run. Padilla has only occasionally pitched up to his talent in his
career, but he was quite an asset in two of his first three seasons in
Texas and the team is 6-3 in his starts this year, even if two
shellings have left him with a 5.57 ERA.

Rosenthal’s report has Padilla on outright waivers, meaning the
Rangers would be unable to pull him back if there’s a team willing to
take on the approx. $8 million he’s owed for the rest of the year, as
well as the $1.75 million buyout of his $12 million club option in
2010. However, it seems unlikely that any club would be willing to
spend that much money. If there’s some behind the scenes stuff here and
the Rangers are committed to getting rid of him, then a trade seems
likely, with the team kicking in at least $3 million-$4 million or
taking on a rather expensive player in return. If the Rangers are fine
with keeping him in their rotation, then it’s likely that Padilla would
hang around after clearing waivers.

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”