* People has all kinds of tidbits
on Alex Rodriguez’s relationship with Kate Hudson, which the magazine
calls “somewhat serious.” Also of note is that “Hudson followed
Rodriguez on the road late last month to Dallas” and the couple “worked
out together in the fitness center” of the team hotel.
If by some miracle Hudson ever makes a decent movie again–seriously, check out her resume since Almost Famous–the
Hollywood media will no doubt start buzzing with talk of
performance-enhancing drugs. Does human growth hormone help you act?
* Joe Mauer was the best player in baseball last month, hitting .414 with 11 homers and 32 RBIs in 28 games, and started June by going 3-for-3 with a homer last night. He’s now one homer shy of tying his career-high.
* Rick Porcello’s five-start winning streak was snapped last night, so Rickmania! will have to wait.
* J.C. Romero has rejoined the Phillies’ bullpen after serving his 50-game suspension.
* Barry Bonds may have stumbled upon a new career.
The Braves are close to an agreement with free agent reliever Peter Moylan, MLB.com’s Mark Bowman writes. Terms of the deal are not yet known, though anything greater than a one-year contract would be surprising.
This figures to be Moylan’s third run with the Braves. The 39-year-old right-hander completed a two-year gig with the Royals in 2017, during which he put up a 3.49 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.0 SO/9 in a league-leading 79 appearances and 59 1/3 innings. While he hasn’t looked dominant at any point in his career, he showed promise after recovering from back surgery and two Tommy John surgeries and could provide some veteran support to a bullpen that ranked 27th among its major league peers last year.
The Braves have been linked to Moylan since November, but they’re not the only ones still in play for his services. Bowman adds that the Royals have continued to show interest in the veteran righty, though they don’t appear close to arranging a deal.