Quentin's foot injury sends him to the DL

Leave a comment

The White Sox were able to get Carlos Quentin at a discount from the
Diamondbacks last offseason because he was coming off shoulder surgery,
but he’s had different injury problems since arriving in Chicago.

Gambling on Quentin’s health paid huge dividends for the White Sox
last season, as he hit .288/.394/.571 with 36 homers and 100 RBIs in
130 games to finish fifth in the AL MVP balloting. However, he missed
the final month of the season and the playoffs with a broken wrist.

Quentin got off to a strong start this year, hitting .253/.374/.587
with eight homers in April to show that his wrist was no longer an
issue. Unfortunately, he began having problems with his left foot once
the calendar flipped to May and has been in and out of the lineup for
the past three weeks while going 11-for-56 (.196) with zero homers.

After saying last week that he planned to simply play through the
pain, Quentin felt a “pop” in his foot while running the bases Monday
and hasn’t played since. He left the team to have his foot examined by
doctors back in Chicago and the White Sox placed Quentin on the
disabled list this afternoon.

Chicago has scored the second-fewest runs in the league and
replacing Quentin’s big bat with the likes of Scott Podsednik and
DeWayne Wise certainly won’t help matters. His injury, plantar fasciitis, is more common among NBA players and often leads to long stretches on the sidelines because playing through the pain typically proves extremely difficult.

Last week general manager Kenny Williams made an unsuccessful run
at Jake Peavy, but with the White Sox now sitting in fourth place at
21-25 and facing life without Quentin it may be time for the reigning
AL Central champions to shift gears with an eye toward 2010 and beyond.

Billy Butler on altercation with Danny Valencia: “We had equal faults in this.”

OAKLAND, CA - JULY 24: Billy Butler #16 of the Oakland Athletics celebrates a solo homerun in the bottom of the eighth inning to regain the lead against the Tampa Bay Rays at the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum on July 24, 2016 in Oakland, California.  (Photo by Don Feria/Getty Images)
Don Feria/Getty Images
Leave a comment

On Friday, Athletics teammates Billy Butler and Danny Valencia were involved in a clubhouse altercation that started when Butler told an equipment representative that Valencia was wearing off-brand spikes during games. Valencia didn’t like Butler’s interference, potentially costing him an endorsement deal, so he punched Butler in the temple, causing a concussion.

Neither player had said much to the media about the incident, but Butler finally addressed the issue on Wednesday. MLB.com’s Mark Chiarelli reported Butler’s comments:

“This was something that could’ve been prevented on both sides,” Butler said. “We had equal faults in this. I definitely said some things that you shouldn’t have. I definitely stepped in an area where it wasn’t my business.”

[…]

“By no means do I think his intentions were to give me a concussion,” Butler said. “This is me addressing my faults and what I took away from the team.”

[…]

“To say that we’re enemies is not right,” Butler said. “To blame this all on one side is not right either.”

Butler also apologized to his teammates. “I would like to apologize for putting [my teammates] through this because they didn’t deserve this. This was an issue between me and Danny. To be fair for them, they didn’t deserve this. The coaching staff didn’t deserve this. The organization didn’t deserve this,” he said.

Butler is making progress in his recovery from his concussion. He’ll travel with the team to St. Louis to open up a three-game series against the Cardinals starting on Friday. If he passes his concussion protocol test, the Athletics will put him back on the active roster from the seven-day concussion disabled list.

Report: Pablo Sandoval has lost 22 pounds during his rehab

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - APRIL 11:  Pablo Sandoval #48 of the Boston Red Sox looks on from the dugout before the Red Sox home opener against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park on April 11, 2016 in Boston, Massachusetts. The Orioles defeat the Red Sox 9-7.  (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
4 Comments

WEEI’s Rob Bradford reports that Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval has lost 22 pounds during his rehabilitation after undergoing shoulder surgery in early May. Weight has been the top subject of conversation regarding Sandoval ever since he showed up to spring training and an unflattering photograph was published by the Boston Globe.

Sandoval had a miserable spring training, batting .204 in 49 at-bats and lost out on the starting third base job to Travis Shaw. He went hitless in seven regular season plate appearances before landing on the disabled list with a sprained left shoulder, which ultimately required reconstructive surgery.

Sandoval is still under contract through at least 2019, earning $17 million next season, and $18 million in ’18 and ’19. His controlling club has a $17 million option with a $5 million buyout for 2020 as well. It’s hard to see Sandoval fitting into his current club’s future plans, but it will be tough for the Red Sox to get rid of him without eating a significant portion of his remaining contract.